Wide open spaces are outside my window. I have always secretly wanted to live in the country; out where you can actually see the stars without a telescope and where quiet is the only sound at night. I've almost made it. I can definitely see those stars, but there is still the occasional semi making noise through town at night. I guess that comes from living on a highway.
By and large I have managed to do away with the hustle and bustle of living in the city, something I have done for the past 27 years of my life and I think I am better for it. Although there is another element of hustle and bustle out here as well. I do take pleasure in the simple joys of living where I do...hanging wash on the line to dry in the sunshine and the breeze, although I refrain from following the example of some of my neighbours and hanging it out even in the dead of winter. I am now enjoying the first fruits of my planting labour with the spring blooms in the flower beds and as such contemplating a small plot of a vegetable garden.
Most of all I enjoy being able to just go outside and sit and hear myself think, of having a backyard and a place to put a chair to sit or even lay on a blanket in the sun!
Of course there are challenges that being a city girl all my life, I am unprepared for. Top of the list are winter road conditions and slow moving farm equipment. But I am learning to take my foot off the accelerator and appreciate the snow covered fields glistening in the sun and the ones who grow my food passing on to the next field.
And this is just a place to think some thoughts out loud, to laugh at myself and learn from my mistakes.

0 comments:
Post a Comment